Skip to main content

Do I have to pay for residential or nursing care?

Will I have to pay?

Yes. If you move into a residential or nursing care home you will be expected to contribute towards the cost of your care. This is in accordance with the Care Act 2014, the care and support (charging and assessment of resources) regulations 2014 and the care and support and aftercare (choice of accommodation) regulations 2014

How do you calculate the charges?

We will conduct a full financial assessment of your circumstances. Your charge will be based on the details you provide on your financial assessment form. The assessment takes into account your income and assets to produce the amount that you will be asked to contribute towards your care.

You are entitled to keep a weekly personal allowance of £24.90, so we disregard this when working out your contribution

If I own a house will I be expected to sell it?

We do not have the legal power to make you sell your house or evict anyone from it.

If your capital (savings) is below £23,250, the value of your house is normally disregarded for up to twelve weeks from the date at which you enter the care home. After this period the value of your home will be taken into account when calculating your charges.

Some people do not wish to sell their home – or are unable to sell it – when they move into residential care. The Government has recognised this by introducing the Deferred Payments Scheme.

For a detailed guide about how we calculate the cost of your care, please download our guide: Charging Information for people living in residential and nursing care.


Give Us Your Feedback