Skip to main content

Home Equipment and Simple Aids

There is a wide range of equipment available to assist your with your daily living. This may include small supporting aids like tap levers or kettle tippers; or larger adaptations such as wheelchair ramps or bath seats.

How to access simple aids

Smaller pieces of equipment and simple aids can be purchased privately from mobility stores accredited retailers.  

If you or someone you care for needs a simple aid to help with household tasks, there are two ways this can be arranged:

  • If you are eligible to receive a simple aid, you can get a prescription following an assessment by a practitioner and exchange it for a simple aid at an accredited retail outlet.
  • You can buy the simple aid you need directly from one of the accredited retail outlets across Royal Greenwich.

You can find out more about buying simple aids by visiting our Buying Equipment page.

How to access home equipment and adaptations

Sometimes there is a need for larger equipment or even home adaptations to assist you with your daily living. In this case the Royal Borough’s Occupational Therapy team can help.

The Royal Borough of Greenwich has specially trained occupational therapists who can help you to choose, obtain and use equipment and adaptations to your home. This may include installing grab rails or a wheelchair ramp, or widening doorways for wheelchair access.

The services provided by the Occupational Therapy team are subject to an assessment of your needs. Your assessment will help to identify the support or equipment you may benefit from and if you are eligible for services.

If you own your own home or are privately renting and you have a substantial disability you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant. This can help to pay for any major adaptations that have been recommended by an Occupational Therapist.

Give Us Your Feedback